German successes at the beginning of WWII were known as "Blitzkriegs",
and demonstrated not only the effectiveness of the mechanization but
also the importance of military transport vehicles. They planned to
produce the military vehicles including the motorcycles under the
general command for motor vehicle in 1940. It was called "Schell
Programme", standardized and improved the productivity of the vehicles.
For example, the types of trucks were reduced to approximately one third
this time. The standardization was based on the weight of the vehicles
manufactured in the market. It was divided into 5 different types: 1,
1.5, 3, 4.5 and 6.4 ton. The Steyr Type 1500 A/01 manufactured in
Austria was one of the 1.5 ton types. It had a front suspension system
consisting of transverse leaf springs, torsion bars and track rod, the
rear suspension system with leaf springs and torsion bars that were
matched to the German military vehicles. The distinctive features were
the front guard and the rounded engine hood. The Steyr 3.5 liter V8
air-cooled engine produced 85 HP, sustaining the top speed of 100 km/h.
The transmission was based on 4 speed forward and 1 reverse on the
four-wheel-drive. There were some models which differed in the locations
of the spare wheels according to the production period. It was
preferred by the officers because of a variety of usage such as a staff
car in line, a tow car and an ambulance.