Germany's versatile Stug III was originally designed as an assault weapon, however also
came to be used as a weapon of defense as the war progressed, providing both assault gun
and anti-tank support. Based on the durable Panzer III chassis, the Stug III featured a monoblock
structure with an L24 75mm short barreled gun mounted directly to the hull, eliminating the
revolving turret and reducing overall height. The Ausf. B was the first truly mass produced
Stug III with 250 produced from June 1940. Featuring wide tracks and powered by a 230hp
Maybach HL 120 TRM engine the Ausf. B boasted a top speed of 40km/h. The Ausf. B saw
action during the Balkans campaign in April 1941 and Operation Barbarossa in June, 1941.
The simple construction leading to low costs and easy mass production made the Stug III one
of Germany's most produced armored vehicles with over 10,000 produced during WWII.